The history of Popeci Manor
The history of the manor begins in 1907, when, at the request of the banker N.N. Popp, a farmer, gold medalist at the World Exhibition in Paris in 1900, Ion D. Berindey designed the manor in Padea as a personal family house, in an eclectic French style.
Ion D. Berindey (1871-1928) is one of the most prolific and appreciated Romanian architects of the first three decades of the twentieth century. He pursued his works to the last detail, leaving nothing to chance, the imagination and talent, the dedication to detail and thoroughness being his characteristics. The style chosen by the young architect was that of the French academicism, style that he had practiced during his study years in Paris and most known and appreciated of his works, Gheorghe Grigore Cantacuzino Palace on Calea Victoriei, nr. 141 in Bucharest, was designed between 1898-1903.
From 1932, the mansion in Padea is linked to the name of the interwar Romanian writer Alexandru Kiriţescu (1888-1961). He placed the action of the play “Gaițele”, the most important of his writings, within the manor. The play becomes known as a great comedy of manners, pointing out the ferocious face of the provincial world.
The manor has undergone a period of distress during communism, but since 2013 it regained the old time facilities after the completion of the restoration works carried out by Popeci family, keeping the style imposed by the architect Berindey.